How To Be a Good Neighbor

Residential Property Owner, Tenant and Resident Guide

Welcome to the City of Lake Worth Beach, a quaint seaside town well known for its idyllic location and appreciation of history, culture, the environment and diversity. In addition, it’s a community of many tight knit neighborhoods, each with its own special charm and identity. All of these attributes make living within the City a uniquely inviting experience. Please help the City maintain and celebrate its warm lifestyle and the “The Art of Florida Living” by being a responsible, supportive property owner, tenant or resident.

Lake Worth beach The One Building

Responsible Home Ownership Builds Good Neighborhoods and Raises Property Values

Residential properties in the City of Lake Worth Beach require proper maintenance to remain in good condition. Inevitably, structures and neighborhoods deteriorate when they are not properly maintained.

Statistics indicate that the presence of abandoned or boarded-up buildings can reduce the values of surrounding properties. Trash in a neighborhood also can reduce values. As a result, when property values fall, vandalism, graffiti, and crime can occur more frequently. 

There is a simple solution to maintaining the City’s many neighborhoods.

Property Owners, their Tenants and Residents must act responsibly!

The intent of this brochure is to educate both residents and property owners by providing a guide explaining residential property maintenance requirements including a list of the most common code violations, and how to correct them as well as information regarding business licenses, building permits and planning/zoning/historic preservation.
lwb cottage

Property Check List


Rotted wood, broken or missing boards, windows, siding, or shingles and make all exterior parts weathertight, rodent -proof, and sound deadening. Exteriors must be resistant to water and be covered with paint, waterproof stain, siding, stucco, brick, or stone that is in good condition.
Exterior walls, roof structure, including rafters, soffits, fascia, roof covering, railings on stairs, elevated landings and porches, fences (should be in good repair and of legal height), windows and screens for deterioration or damage. Make sure to dispose of construction debris.
house repair building with ladders
Yard Maintenance

Overgrowth in excess of 12” immediately next to an improved property is a violation of the City’s Property Maintenance Code.


Vehicles must be in operable condition, able to move under their own power as well as being registered with current tags. The keeping of unregistered or unlicensed vehicle(s) on residential property is prohibited. City regulations do not allow the parking or storage of commercial vehicles in excess of one ton carrying capacity in a residential zoning district.

Noise Ordinance

The City of Lake Worth Beach has ordinances in place to govern noise-based nuisances. There are limits to audible noise. Limits are established based on whether a property is located within a residential area, the downtown or another area of the City. The provisions of the noise ordinances are enforced by PBSO. Should excessive noise occur, a complaint regarding the noise should be made to the non-emergency number at (561) 688-3000. Properties that incur more than three verified noise complaints may be deemed a chronic nuisance resulting in fines and other restrictions.

Business and Rental Activities and Licensing


A Lake Worth Beach Business License is required to operate all residential rentals and commercial businesses located in the City of Lake Worth Beach city limits including the rental of commercial property. Short-term rentals of 60-days or less are not permitted in the City of Lake Worth Beach.

The Lake Worth Beach Business License has 3 parts:

  • Business Tax Receipt (BTR)

  • Use & Occupancy Certificate

  • Use & Occupancy Inspection (required every 3 years) – a fee will appear on the renewal notice when an inspection is due

Please take note that City utilities including electric, water and sewer will not be connected for new tenants unless there is a valid, active City business license on file for the property including the required use & occupancy inspection.  Temporary utilities can be connected for inspections, general repair and/or maintenance.

Should a residential property be neither “homesteaded” nor held out as a rental, the owner will need to file an affidavit of non-rental with the City.

Lastly, all properties being rented must have a local area contact with phone number and email address provided to the City.  The contact should be available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day in order to address any issues that may arise at the rental property.

Garage sales are permitted twice per year, each not exceeding 72 hours.

Please contact the Business License Division with questions by phone at (561) 586-1647 or by email at [email protected].

Home Occupations

Home-based businesses must be properly licensed. In order to maintain the residential character of the neighborhood, activities must be confined to the interior of the home. Outdoor storage and signage are prohibited as well as a prohibition of nuisances such as noise, smoke, fumes, dust and odors. Pedestrian and vehicular traffic shall not exceed what would be expected in a residential neighborhood. Additional zoning criteria may apply. Please contact the Planning & Zoning Office at (561) 586-1687, or [email protected] for more information.

Frequent Code Violations

Maintenance Standards
Grass height may not exceed 12”. Hedges must be well maintained and should not obstruct access to a property or its identification for emergency purposes. Garbage, bulk, and yard waste cannot be left in the yard and must be properly disposed. Residential garbage, which includes kitchen, food and small household discards, is collected twice each week. It must be placed in the black cart issued by the City and placed by the curb in front of the home. The lid must be closed and cart opening must face the street. Yard waste/vegetation is collected three times per month on a scheduled day. Bulk items, such as furniture, mattresses, appliances and other items too large to fit in the garbage cart, are picked up one time per month on a scheduled day. To determine your collection schedule, download the Recycle Coach app or check the City website. Collection guidelines are available on the City website. For more information, please call the Solid Waste & Recycling Division at 561-533-7344.
Garbage/Vegetation Cart Regulations
City ordinance prohibits placement of the carts, recycling bins and vegetation/bulk piles curbside for pickup prior to 6:00 p.m. the day before the scheduled pickup. All containers must be removed from the pickup area the same day collection is made. Containers must be stored out of site from the road. For more information, call the Solid Waste & Recycling Division at 561-533-7344.
Inoperable/Unlicensed Motor Vehicles
An inoperable vehicle is one that cannot be driven. Vehicles must be in operable condition & able to move under their own power. They must also be registered with current tags. The keeping of an inoperable, unregistered or unlicensed vehicle(s) on residential property is prohibited.
Outdoor Storage
Outdoor storage of equipment, materials, or furnishings is prohibited on residential property. Likewise, indoor furniture, household appliances, auto parts, or building materials may not be stored outside.
Improper Tree Pruning (hatracking)
Properly pruned shade trees promote a well-structured tree that stands up to tropical storms and hurricanes. Proper pruning also ensures that your trees will be aesthetically pleasing and long-lived. Hatracking, which includes flat cutting the top of a tree, severing the leader or leaders, or stubbing off mature wood larger than 2” in diameter, is prohibited. The city recommends that homeowners use an arborist certified by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), visit to find a certified arborist in our area.
Oversized Vehicles
City ordinances do not allow the storing or parking of commercial vehicles which have a carrying capacity in excess of one ton, in residential areas; neither on streets nor on private property.
Work without Building Permits
In the City of Lake Worth Beach, structures and improvements to structures require building permits. Improvements such as windows, doors, roofing, decks, fences, patio slabs, pavers, driveways and sheds require building permits. Before beginning any home improvement project, it is recommended to contact the Building Division at (561) 586-1647, or [email protected] to determine whether permits are required. If your property is located in a historic district, or to determine if it is located in a historic district, please contact the Historic Preservation Office prior to planning your project or purchasing construction materials. For a preapplication meeting call at (561) 586-1687, or email [email protected].
Boats and RVs are required to be parked on the side of, or in the rear residential dwellings (behind the building line), and must be screened from adjacent properties by a fence or hedge.
Portable Storage Units
Portable storage units for the temporary storage of personal property are limited to 1 portable storage unit at a time, a maximum size of 130 sf, and for a maximum of 7 consecutive days. Portable storage units should be placed in the rear of property, but may be placed in a driveway if the rear of the property is not readily accessible. The portable storage units must be set back a minimum of five (5) feet from side property lines, and three (3) feet from the front property lines if placed in a driveway. A site permit is required prior to the placement of a portable storage unit on a property. Contact the Planning & Preservation Office at (561) 586-1687, or [email protected] for more information.

If you receive a Notice of Violation

If you have questions, or if you are working toward correcting a code violation or need additional time due to special circumstances, call the Code Officer assigned to your case or the Code Administrative staff at (561) 586-1652 or email [email protected].

If prompt action is not taken to bring the property code violation(s) into compliance, the City may arrange to have remedial service(s) performed such as: a vacant lot or property mowed; a vacant structure boarded or demolished. A tax assessment may be filed against the property for the service(s) in addition to any other fines or fees that may have accrued, if not paid by the property owner. Our goal is complete voluntary compliance. Your assistance in maintaining our neighborhoods is appreciated.

Contact Code Compliance