If you have questions and wish to meet with the building official you may come to the Department of Community Sustainability at 1900 2nd Ave N, Lake Worth Beach, FL 33461. See side bar or walk in time frames below.
Appointments are available 1-3 PM Monday through Friday.
Appointments are available on a first come first serve basis.
Scroll Down for building Permit Application
Florida State Law Requires
- All plans for a construction permit are reviewed for compliance with the Florida Building Code.
- Please be advised that the 6th edition (2017) of the Florida Building Code and the 2014 National Electric Code became effective on December 31. 2017. Applications submitted on or after this date must show compliance with this code.
- State Licensed professionals must review all plans to ensure requirements are met.
Florida Statutes 553.79 states “It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, corporation, or governmental entity to construct, erect, alter, modify, repair, or demolish any building within this state without first obtaining a permit therefor from the appropriate enforcing agency. An enforcing agency may not issue any permit for construction, erection, alteration, modification, repair, or demolition of any building or structure until the local building code administrator or inspector has reviewed the plans and specifications required by the Florida Building Code, or local amendment thereto, for such proposal and found the plans to be in compliance with the Florida Building Code.”
In order to assist owner builders and contractors to obtain permits and meet the requirements of the law, the City has provided checklists with each permit that must be filled out and submitted along with the permit application.
Pursuant to the City’s local amendments to the Florida Building Code (2017 6th edition), City of Lake Worth Beach Building Permits are not required for replacement or repair work having a value of less than $1,000.00 provided that such work will not adversely effect the structural integrity, fire rating, exit access or egress requirements. The following list provides examples of work exempt from the building permit requirement (subject to the $1,000.00 value threshold).
Permits are NOT required for:
- Air Conditioning Window Unit: Unit in existing opening with existing electrical
- Appliance Replacement: Excluding water heater
- Cabinets: Replace like for like, same location
- Doors: Replace interior only, Single Family/R-3 occupancy
- Drywall: Interior wall repair, less than 3 sheets of 4’-0” x 8’-0”
- Electrical: Replacement of lights, outlets, and switches for Single Family/ R-3 occupancy per 2011 N.E.C.
- Fence: Repair/Replace for previously permitted fence up to 16’-0” sections-excluding Pool Barriers
- Gutters and downspouts: Single family/R-3 occupancy
- Plumbing Fixtures: Replacement of common household fixtures for Single Family/R-3 occupancy (same location) *Excluding bath tub/shower
- Soffit and /or Fascia: Repair and replace up to 25% of total
- Stucco: Repair only Single Family/R-3 occupancy
- Wood Deck: Repair up to 100 square feet of previously permitted deck