The area that is now referred to as Lake Worth Beach was settled a few years after Congress passed the Homestead Act of 1862. In 1896 Henry Flagler extended his rail line south from West Palm Beach; making Lake Worth Beach much more accessible for new settlers. Much of present-day Lake Worth Beach was once owned by Samuel and Fannie James, two former slaves. While the James’ where in possession of the property, the future townsite was referred to as Jewel. In 1911 Fannie James sold the core area of her land to Palm Beach Farms Company.
The name Jewel was subsequently changed to Lucerne and platting began shortly thereafter. Lake Worth Beach was formally incorporated in 1912, and in January of that year Lake Avenue became the first street to be graded and rocked. As the town began to grow, residents saw the need to construct a dock at the foot of Lake Avenue that extended 1,000 feet into the Lake Worth Lagoon. Shortly thereafter Bryant Park was established, a park that remains beautifully active today; complete with a modern bandshell where people enjoy festivals, concerts, and recreation.
As settlers moved to Lake Worth Beach in the early twentieth century, they built homes, grocery stores, churches and restaurants. During the summer of 1912, a survey of the town was completed that laid out 55 miles of streets, and nearly as many miles of alleys, as well as 7,000 residential lots ranging in size from 25 to 50 feet wide. The small lot sizes were part of a sales tactic that coupled the purchase of multiple acres of farm land west of the community with a small town lot in present-day Lake Worth Beach.